Monday 22 April 2013

357: Zombie Fiction


Zombie fiction is the next big thing they said, it’s the new black, feel it on the Zeitgeist.  Why on earth wouldn’t I try it?  I want to write, I want to be read and I want to make it big.  I’m going to write zombie fiction.  Could you guess it wouldn't end up being quite so simple?  

First of all, I’m not really a fan of anything gory.  I’ve been known to feel faint at a splinter so I had to steel myself against the queasiness.  The research was difficult and I had to get a feel for the genre before even attempting to write.  A reader can tell if one simply tries to jump on the bandwagon, you know.  I wanted authenticity.

Second was the decision as to plot or theme, or basically what should I write about.  I thought as a new voice in zombie fiction I could try a new style, so if I made it big I would actually start off my own craze perhaps.  Not for me zombies thuddering along arms out, chasing the last few survivors in a crazy world to eat their brains.  Or strains of viruses that should protect but instead infect and zombify and kill.

I decided on zombie romance.  There were vampires and werewolves in love, dragons and slayers with beautiful maidens, sci-fi inter-galactic relationships galore.  I saw a gap in the market and I aimed to fill it with my unique stories of zombie life and love.

Then I hit my third and final consideration, shall we call it.  Is zombie fiction about zombies or by zombies?  I didn't see why it couldn't be a bit of both, which really would be authentic.  I could tell stories of how I met my zombie husband, how my friends fared on the zombie dating scene and what happens with inter-tribal zombies fall in love.

Now if I could only work out how to type with these ragged stumps of arms where I got eaten that first time and how to concentrate without my guts spilling all over the page and how to push down the all-consuming need to hunt for brains so I could construct a semblance of a narrative, I’d be well on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment